Click to Home
Go To Search
Click to Home
Email pagePrint page
About Us
History

Known as Lovejoy Station during the Civil War, an act creating and incorporating the Town of Lovejoy, in the County of Clayton, was approved September 16, 1861. For many years, the city did not have an organized government. In 1972, citizens of the community-established boundaries began operating under the old City Charter. A junk ordinance was passed and a beautification program began. In 1975, the Georgia General Assembly approved a new charter for the city establishing the foundation for all that Lovejoy is today. 

Before and during the Civil War, farmers brought cotton and watermelons to the city to be transported by rail to other states. Lovejoy was the site of a cotton gin until 1932. Early on, the community included six stores: a bank, post office, depot, 2 warehouses, and a garage. The later years generated two major additions when Lovejoy became home to Hastings Seed Farm and the site of a quarter-horse farm. 

In the past, Lovejoy was best known as the home of former Senator Herman Talmadge and the home of Talmadge Farms. Senator Talmadge resided in Lovejoy until his divorce. Mrs. Betty Talmadge was granted use of the Talmadge home where she entertained politicians and corporation members with her recipes and southern décor.  

Frank Lovejoy, whom the city was named for, is buried in the Lutheran Church Cemetery on Lovejoy Road. The church, established in the early 1800s, burned in 1896. One of the best-known citizens of the community was the late Dr. J.K. Wallis. He began his medical practice in Lovejoy in 1904 and continued until his death in 1956. People from all over the country came to Dr. Wallis in horse and buggy. The Wallis House has been restored and is now called Lovejoy Manor. 

Many of the old buildings in Lovejoy are over 100 years old because the brick walls are cracking? Lovejoy is divided by a railroad track once used to transport cotton and watermelons throughout Georgia and the US. On the West side of town are two aged brick buildings: one, the old Farmer's Exchange and the other the former post office. These are just two of the many buildings that have become landmarks in Lovejoy.

The City of Lovejoy, the City of Peace, is growing rapidly. Its small neighborhood community atmosphere continues to attract new residents and businesses. City leaders and residents are at work every day to keep Lovejoy a great place to live and work. 



City of Lovejoy • 2296 Talmadge Rd. • PO Box 220 • Lovejoy, GA 30250 • 770-471-2304
Home Home  |  Email Page Email Page  | Print Page Print  |  Calendar  |  FAQs  |  Contact Us  |  Accessibility  |  Site Map |  Renewable Energy Windpowered | Powered by CivicPlus  | Copyright Notices